Monday, September 12, 2016

The Evolution Of A Fairy Tale


W is for the big, bad, WOLF. 

Today we read the story of the Three Little Pigs, illustrated with the story pieces provided by MGT. After I read the story, I set out 3 different types of building materials and sent a couple children in search of the appropriate characters from our bin of tiny animals. They found a wolf, but no pigs. There are a dozen whales of varying species, but not a pig to be had...Go figure. We did, however, come up with three tiny pink rubber ducks, which were deemed reasonable substitutes.

I left them to build the houses on the floor and act out the story as they were so inclined. Seeveral students decided to move to the table and use the story pieces to reenact the story, which ended up being told half in Japanese and half in English.

I fully expected them to be ready for something new after 20 minutes, and I was actually looking forward myself to playing the roll-a-cube seek and find game that was also part of today's lesson. However, they were totally invested in working together to build the "scenery" a retell the story together for a solid 45 minutes until lunch time.

There was some disagreements about chimney placement, as would be expected among wolves and pigs (or pink ducks), but overall they worked cooperatively and had SO much fun.

The "big bad wolf howling in the forest 
Building the house of "straw"
Building the house of sticks
"I'll huff, and I'll puff and I'll BLOW your house down!"
The Three pink ducks are safe in the "brick" house



And they all lived happily ever after...THE END





No comments:

Post a Comment