Monday, January 30, 2012

"Taste The Joy Of It"

sa·vor (svr) - v.tr. 1. To impart flavor or scent to; season 2. To taste or smell, especially with pleasure 3. To appreciate fully; enjoy or relish

I've been staying with my brother since I got to Nashville last month, so I have been spending a lot of time with my 4-year-old niece. She is a bundle of thoughts and energy, always on the "go". Most days, she can't be bothered with sitting down for meals because it intereferes with whatever grand activity she has planned to do next. In an effort to curb her "speed eating", have a nice family dinner, AND teach her some new vocabulary (because us teachers can't resist making any moment into a teachable moment), I introduced her to the word "savor". We discussed it's meaning and implications on eating habits and proceeded to enjoy our meal and conversation for a few brief moments. Each day, at the start of a family meal, we reviewed the word and went about our meal. About 2 weeks passed, and one day I asked her if she remembered what "savor" meant. She answered, "To taste the joy of it."

As often happens when teaching "new" concepts to small children, when they reflect back what they have learned, it first strikes a humorous chord, then a genuinely profound one. I chuckled at her response, and then thought about how her definition relates to my own life.

I am a Producer, a do-er, a fixer. I see a need and I want to make something happen NOW to meet it. Most of the time, this is a good thing, but I sometimes forget to put myself and my own individual needs in the equation. Everybody needs nurishment, physically and spiritually, to keep going on a daily basis. If you don't take time out to stop and eat a nutritious meal at regular intervals, you will eventually become weak, and maybe even pass out for lack of energy. The same is true for our spiritual and emotional health.

Being in the States for the past 2 months (and another 6 weeks to go), has given me an opportunity to re-learn this concept. For a while, if you asked me, I would tell you that I would rather be in Haiti, doing the work God has called me to, instead of being "stuck" here, in transition, just focused on getting back there as quickly as I could. Now, I'm choosing to take a little of my own advice, to slow down and savor this season I am in. I don't want to miss out on the heavenly flavor and scent God is imparting in my life. I want to enjoy the goodness of all the blessings that surround me, and fully appreciate the nourishment that being in relationship with family and good friends brings to my soul. I want to "taste the joy of it", and in so doing be filled up to overflowing to accomplish the work that has been set before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment