Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Series of Unfortunate Events

In the two weeks leading up to my departure for Haiti, I experienced several unexpected and unpleasant circumstances, which prompted someone to say,"Maybe this is a sign that you should not go to Haiti." Which got me thinking...Where would I be, where would any of us be if we stopped doing the thing we are called to do because we experienced failure, unexpected loss, inconvenience, disappointment, even pain? What about all the scientists, doctors, athletes, inventors, etc. that kept going against all odds? What about Jesus? I'm thankful He didn't lose sight of His calling in the face of incredible opposition and pain, even death. 

Despite a car accident, a stressful move out of my apartment, the unsuccessful transfer of the care of my cat to my brother's house (she peed on his carpet after he yelled at her so I had to find alternate arrangements),  my dad's hospitalization for food poisoning, which led to a shortened stay in Pittsbugh, AND the airline refusing to allow me to check the suitcase full of all my teacher stuff...I, and my luggage, finally arrived at the Hands and Feet Project in Jacmel on Tuesday afternoon. It feels so good to be settling in "at home" here. I love every minute I spend with these precious kids.  I spent all day today gathering supplies to start "school" with the toddlers on Monday. I can't wait! But for now, I should head to bed. It's "late", almost 10pm, and nearly all the lights in the houses are out. Tomorrow is Sunday, which means nursery duty bright and early...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kyle! I added you to my blogroll, so I'll be keeping up and praying as you post. Perhaps the Enemy was trying to keep you from pursuing the call God has on your life right now; I'm thankful our God is stronger and that you kept on keeping on. Thinking of you and praying for you - surely you will hit many more roadblocks. But more surely, God will sustain you!

    ReplyDelete